Saturday, February 3, 2024

 

                                One, Two, Buckle My Shoe

                David sat down in the middle of the road and began to cry. One of his two best friends, a parrot, was sitting on his shoulder. His only other friend was a woman who lived with him. He didn't know who she was, but he liked her. It was late afternoon, and he looked around in confusion as the setting sun's rays reflected off the parrot's colorful plumage, creating a kaleidoscope of colors. The man was in his early 60s and was dressed in shabby tan pants and a tee shirt emblazoned with the phrase "I love my Grandpa". Tufts of grey hair could be seen from under a well-worn baseball cap, which had lost most of its original red color and was now a light pink. He wore no shoes, and his feet were rubbed raw.

               "One two, buckle my shoe. One two, buckle my shoe," he repeated to himself repeatedly.

               Every so often, the man would reach up to his shoulder, tussle the feathers on the parrot's throat, and mumble, "Good Birdie, good birdie. Home soon, home soon."

               "My dear man, although I enjoy communing with nature and taking these inspirational walks with you, it is getting late, and we have a way to go before we get home. Are you sure you know where you are going? It seems as though we have strayed from our usual path. I'm afraid we are lost." the parrot said.

               "One two, buckle my shoe. Home soon, home soon." David replied.

               A brindle-colored kitten crossed their road and stopped to watch the man sitting on the road. It was an odd sight for the kitten. It had never seen a man before, never less a man with a parrot on his shoulder. It lived alone in the forest with the other animals and birds and rarely strayed from its secluded hideaway.

               The man turned abruptly to look at the kitten, frightening him, and said, "Kitty, kitty. Kitty, kitty." The kitten froze, and the fur on its back went up.

               "Don't be afraid, my furry friend. He means you no harm. We are just on an adventure and are hurrying home before dark." the parrot said.

               "But there are no houses nearby. Surely, you must have lost your way and are heading in the wrong direction. The sun is just about to set, and you will have to stop and rest until daylight lest you wander further into the wilderness that lies ahead," the kitten said, "Why don't you come to my home and visit with me for the night? I will lead you in the right direction in the morning." the kitten said.

               "No greater truth can be said. I am afraid, my friend. I think we will take you up on your more than kind offer and spend the night." the parrot said.

               The kitten was pleased. It had never had any friends visit, and now he would have two. "Oh, how wonderful this adventure is becoming." the kitten thought. It brushed against the man's leg, purred, and started down the small path it had been following. David arose, and he and the parrot followed.

               "Kitty, kitty. Home soon, home soon." David said.

               It was now getting dark, but the man had no trouble following the cat as it ambled, allowing him to keep up. The path turned right, left, left, right, around, and around through the forest until it disappeared in some bramble bushes.

               "Come this way, come this way. It is not far now. You'll have to crawl through the bushes here, but my home is just beyond. Oh, this is so exciting." the kitten said.

               The path ended in a small grass-covered glade. It was surrounded by large trees whose branches hung over the opening in the forest floor, creating a roof of sorts.

               "May I say, David, that crawling through bushes will surely ruffle my feathers. Maybe we should sit here for the night and start again on our own in the morning." the parrot said.

               "Ruffle, ruffle. Buckle my shoe." David said, tears still streaming down his face.

               "My dear kitten, I fear we must stop here for the evening. We are tired, and it is almost dark. We will rest here by this big oak tree. Thank you for your friendship and help." the parrot said.

               David and his friend walked over to the tree, sat down, and stared at the setting sun dropping below the horizon. Looking across the open field near them, they could see a stone cottage in the distance, with smoke curling from the chimney.

               "Master David! Master David! That is our home afar. We are home! No more crying. We are home!" the parrot said.

               "Home again, home again. Buckle my shoe!" David said as he arose and headed across the field to the house.

               "Grandpa, Grandpa! Where were you? What happened to you? I was so worried and scared when we couldn't find you this morning. I called the police. I'm so happy you are home! Let's get you cleaned up and take care of your feet." the woman said tearfully, giving him a big hug.

               "I'm home, Mildred. I'm home," he said.

               "Oh, Grandpa, I'm not Mildred. I'm Susie, your granddaughter," she said.

               "Susie. Susie. Home again. Home again. Buckle my shoe." he said.

              

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment